Jerzy’s Garden Chicken Soup
He’s been making it since we were kids, plucking all the ingredients from the garden, simmering for hours and making it fresh.
Our Garden (and dog):
Here is the great basic recipe. You can add whatever veggies you’d like to it, leeks, herbs, more. You can also have this with rice, egg noodles, orzo, gluten free penne, or small pasta.
– 1 whole small roasting chicken or chicken legs/thighs
– 4 celery stalks
– 4 large carrots
– 2 sliced onions
– 3 bay leaves
– 10 whole black peppercorns
– 1 onion, sliced
– 1/2 Celery Root (Celery bulb, small cut in half)
– Chopped Parsley
– Fill with cold water until all ingredients are fully covered
– 1/2 tsp of salt
– Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover almost fully with lid for 1.5-2 hours on low.
When cooked, remove chicken from bone and remove bay leaves.
Top with freshly chopped dill.